Bengali cuisine is incomplete without desserts. And Bengal is not only about Rosogollas when it comes to a sweet dish. Yogurt or “Doi” is also a very popular Bengali dessert. “Bhapa Doi” means Steamed or baked mango yogurt in Literary meaning and like almost all Bengali people, it’s a treasured dessert. Like every traditional recipe of India, It also came across transformation through generations. My mother learned this process of mango yogurt from my granny and me from my mother. It can be made easily in a pressure cooker as well as in an oven. You can get this dessert in the name of “Bengali Cheesecake”. So what are we waiting for? Let’s start.
Cooking time : – 25-30 Minutes
Ingredients For Steamed Or Baked Mango Yogurt
1.300 ml sweet condensed milk (1 small can).
2. 1 medium Cup Plain yogurt.
3. The fresh pulp of 2 ripe mangoes. Even mango puree is also okay if you cannot find real mangoes at that time.
4.10-15 cashews finely chopped.
Many persons use additional whole Milk of 100-125 ml. I haven’t used this in my recipe. You can add that if you want.
Process To Make Steamed Or Baked Mango Yogurt
1.Firstly you need to put Mango pulp(or mango puree) and yogurt in a blender. Blend it very well. In case you don’t have a blender, you can whisk the mixture thoroughly so that no lump can be left.
2.Next, add the condensed milk and again blend this properly. You can additional cardamom powder for flavor. I chose not to add.
3.Now it’s time to add the nuts. Almonds and cashews can be used. Add them to the mixture and just stir this softly with a spoon.
1.Place the mixture in a bowl.
2. You must preheat the cooker for 3-5 minutes.
3. Then put an inch of water in Theorie vessel.
4. Place an iron stand.
5. Following that, put the bowl on top of the stand and cover the lid. You can use Aluminium foil for this.
6. After placing the bowl carefully in the steamer, Cover for 15-20 minutes.
7.Take it out and let it be here for another 5-6 minutes. You can put the bowl in the fridge to set it chilled.
Yogurt should be set in the cooker.
1.Put the mixture in a bowl or small ramekins until they’re almost full.
2.Preheat the oven to 200c for 8-10 minutes.
3. Fill the baking tray with a little water.
4. Now put the bowl or ramekins on the tray carefully so that water cannot enter the bowl.
5. Bake this for 20-25 minutes in 180c. After that duration, check Let whether the mixture is set or not. Insert a knife into this. If It comes out clean, then it’s ready.
6. Always keep this yogurt at room temperature for at least 15- 20 minutes. And after that, place that in the fridge for another 60 minutes. You can increase this duration as long as you want.
7.The Steamed or Baked Mango Yogurt(Bhapa Doi) is ready. Put some pieces of almonds to garnish.
Enjoy this chilled dessert with your loved ones!